Copyright is a right given by the law to creators of literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works and producers of cinematograph films and sound recordings. Copyright Registration provides a bundle of rights like rights of reproduction, communication to the public, adaptation, and translation of the work.
Copyright ensures certain minimum safeguards of the rights of authors over their creations, thereby protecting and rewarding creativity. The development of a society is dependent on the creativity of creators and their rights over their work should be protected. The rights & protection provided by copyright to the efforts of writers, artists, designers, dramatists, musicians, architects, and producers of sound recordings, cinematograph films, and computer software, create an atmosphere conducive to creativity, which induces them to create more and motivates others to create.
Application for Copyright Registration Application :
The application can be made both online and Offline by the applicant or the Authorized Attorney of the applicant. An applicant filing a copyright application should have the work in soft copies and hard copies in at least two copies, like the author of Literary work should have two copies of the book for copyright.
Information required for Copyright Registration Application :
- Name, Address and Nationality of the Applicant
- Nature of the Applicant’s interest in the Copyrightof the work
- Class and description of the work
- Title of the work
- Language of the work
- Name, Address and Nationality of the Author and if the Author is deceased, the date of decease
- Whether the work is Published or Unpublished
- Year and Country of first publication, and Name,Address and Nationality of the publisher
- Year and Countries of subsequent publications, if any, and Name, Address and Nationality of the publisher
- Name, Address and Nationality of the Owners of the various rights comprising the copyright in the work and extent of rights held by each, togetherwith particulars of assignments and licence. If any
- Name and address and nationality of otherpersons, if any authorized to assign or licence therights comprising the copyright
- If the work is an ‘Artistic work’, the location of theoriginal work, including name, address andnationality of the person in possession of the work,(In the case of an architectural work, the year ofcompletion of the work should also be shown)
Documents Required for Copyright Registration :
- 2 Copies of work
- Authorization from author/publisher
- If the work is being used on goods or capable of being used on the goods
- If the application is being field through attorney, a specific power of attorney in original duly signed bythe applicant and accepted by the attorney
- Search Certificate from Trade Mark Office(TM-60) ( Only in case of Artistic work ).
Time for Processing Copyright Registration Application
- Applicaiton Filing – 1 Day
- Allotment of Diary Number – 1 Day
- Waiting Period – 30 days
- Approvals /Objections- 10-15 days
Once an application for Copyright registration is filed, we get allotted Diary Number, have to wait for a mandatory period of 30 days so that no objection is filed in the Copyright office against your claim that particular work is created by you.
Scope of Copyright Registraiton
All kinds of literary and artistic works can be copyrighted, you can also file a copyright application for your website or other computer programs. Computer Software or program can be registered as a ‘literary work’. As per Section 2 (o) of the Copyright Act, 1957 “literary work” includes computer programs, tables, and compilations, including computer databases. ‘Source Code’ has also to be supplied along with the application for registration of copyright for software products. Copyright protection prevents the undue proliferation of private products or works and ensures the individual owner retains significant rights over his creation.
File your Copyright Registration Application
We help you to file your Copyright Registration Application with the Department for the following type of work:
- Sound Recordings
- Softwares and Apps